[Coral-List] Canthigaster population irruption

Janie Wulff wulff at bio.fsu.edu
Tue Sep 17 10:40:59 EDT 2013

Following up on Les's comments about mass settlement of tetraodontiform fishes:

Ross Robertson (Robertson, D.R.1998.  Copeia 1988(3):698-703)
published data on a mass settlement in 1985 of the triggerfish
Balistes vetula in Panama in the contexts of :  1) settlement data in
1985 of this species at 81 sites in Panama, Belize, Isla San Andres,
Santa Marta, and Grand Cayman collected by him, augmented by
information from responses to questionnaires returned by other
researchers at 22 localities around the Caribbean, 2) surface current
patterns in the wider Caribbean, 3) monthly settlement information at
sites near Punta de San Blas, Panama, for 7 years preceding the mass
settlement (4 years of non-quantitative observations followed by 3
years of counts), and for 2 years after the mass settlement, 4)
settlement during the same time period, at the Punta de San Blas
sites, of 24 other fish species representing 7 families, 5)
behavioral observations of settlers wounding each other during
battles for limited crevice space, and 6) resulting effects on the
adult populations.  I'd be happy to send the pdf to anyone who would
like to have the article but lacks access to Copeia.

- Janie