[Coral-List] A question: Do

jahangir vs vs_jahangir at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 21 08:53:42 EDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

In some coral reefs, high tides usually occure at mid-day and can induce decrease of underwater temperature and light intensity significantly. And duration or number of subsequent days with small high tides at warmest time of the year could differ inter-annually (I saw it by looking to the graph of one year tidal height prediction). Does this really differ inter-annually? If it does, it seems probable that thermal stress would be higher in years with more subsequent days with small high tides (more days with constant warm water) at their warmest period.

So, Could a tidal induced long term trend in rate of thermal stress or bleaching exist in coral reefs with significant water cooling during large high tides?

I am looking forward for any inforamtion,

Jahangir Vajed Samiei
MSc. of Marine Biology
Marine Biology Lab
Iranian National Institute for Oceanography (INIO)
website: http://www.inio.ac.ir/
Another e-mail: jvajedsamiei at inio.ac.ir
Cell phone: 00989192459404