[Coral-List] Biologists, geologists, and systems thinking tradition in coral reef science

gmail tadziob at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 16:52:42 EDT 2013

   Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

   From: Kaufman, Leslie S
   Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:49 PM
   To: Coral List
   Subject: [Coral-List] Biologists, geologists, and systems thinking tradition
   in coral reef science

   To echo Alina's email copied below, most of the reef biologists in our
   couple of elder generations were trained as "honorary geologists", some of
   us even growing up in geology or earth science departments and earning
   wonderfully stratigraphic degrees. Not only that, but our geology colleagues
   were at least as good honorary biologists as we were at whacking rocks-
   because our mentors saw to it that this would be so. We can complain that
   this fine tradition has ebbed, and that the ranks of carbonate geologists
   may be a bit thin on the ground in some places, but we can also resurrect
   and  rebuild the interdisciplinary perspective in our own teaching and
   mentoring. I (or my pinch hitter, Nathan Stewart) teach a course in the BU
   Marine Program called "Coral Reef Dynamics: Shallow Reefs, Deep Time" that
   tows this line, not out of nostalgia, but out of common sense and necessity.
   All of my cohort do likewise. As living reefs wain, the utility of the
   holistic approach will be sel
   f-evident. Just as we dream of our shattered society pulling together in
   some utopian scenario of sanity and sustainability, so can we dream of the
   bits and pieces that make up a vibrant coral reef one day reassembling
   themselves  into  something that looks like the world as we knew it as
   students. The up side for the reefs, is we know it can happen because we've
   seen it ourselves, or read of it in rare testimonials like the one we've
   been celebrating here. Society lacks any so certain a history, and has never
   yet built quite such a structure...but we can work at it.
   Les