[Coral-List] What do coral reef scientists perceive are the major threats to Caribbean coral reefs?

Isaac Westfield seymour47 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 10:42:20 EDT 2014

Cutting the threats to coral reefs down to 4, large, all-inclusive
categories seems like an immense and careless over-simplification, given
the goal of the proposed study. The average person you talk to is unlikely
to put forward 'land-based sources of marine pollution' as their perceived
threat.

The other issue with I have with simplification like this is, how do you
apply this to mitigation? If I want to reduce land-based pollution, do I
address eutrophication of reefs due to fertilization of agriculture
adjacent to river systems that empty onto marine habitats? Do I suggest
reductions in cement usage to help curb production of CO2? Do I try and
protect marine habitats from garbage dumped by large vessels during transit?

These are the sorts of 'percieved' and more finely categorized threats I
believe they are looking for and are more likely to be suggested by the
public. Cutting it down to 4 main topics is fine for a powerpoint
presentation, but if you want to get down to the nitty gritty you need to
expand your horizons a bit. Yes we need to address the large scale topics
to solve these problems, but you have to address a lot of the small things
to get at the big things.