[Coral-List] What do coral reef scientists preceive are the major threats to Caribbean coral reefs?

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Fri Apr 11 12:53:50 EDT 2014

Sarah, I am surprised you did not mention African dust. There certainly
has been a lot of discussion of this hypothesis and you can now find
abundant literature on the subject. Unfortunately it is not something we
can do much about and no one has figured out how to make money with it.
We learned the hard way that it undermines the agendas of many
government agencies that base their congressional funding on doing
something that makes everyone feel like something useful is being done.
When our dust project at USGS came to a close around 200 different live
microbes had been identified. There are many many more waiting to be
identified. We found various pesticides (including DDT still used in
Africa) were present, as well as Mercury, Arsenic,  Lead-210, radiogenic
Beryllium-7, and iron which is about 5-6% of the dust. Si and clay
minerals of course are the major components. When we first proposed iron
could be the micro nutrient causing turf algae to take over coral reefs
people screamed that it is insoluable and thus not bioavailable. Now
chemical oceanographers are recognizing that due to Ligands the iron is
made bioavailable and increases primary productivity in the open ocean
as first proposed by John Martin. His Iron x experiments, (conducted
after his demise), proved once and for all that atmospheric iron
stimulates primary productivity. The release of iron in a non productive
area of the deep Pacific west of South America produced a patch of green
algae that could be seen from space. The irony (no pun intended) was
that the experiment would never have happened without top down support
from some congressmen. The bottom up approach involving the usual peer
review proposal approach would have squelched the idea in the bud. So
you are asking scientists for their opinion on the the major causes of
coral reef decline? Good Luck! Expect the "Usual Suspects." Besides
management can not handle African dust or anything else that may be
natural. No agency is going to get funded (as we found out) asking for
money to investigate the coral reef and Human effects of African dust
and or Asian Dust. Benchmark ideas in science seldom survive the bottom
up approach. Gene

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor
University of South Florida