[Coral-List] What do coral reef scientists perceive are the major threats to Caribbean coral reefs?

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 17 08:58:38 EDT 2014

   Hi Mike,
   I was just enumerating the specific threats that had been mentioned. I'm
   glad you commented because I'm not qualified to evaluate or compare current
   or potential impacts. I'm just more interested in learning. But now it seems
   you  have raised yet another provocative question. I don't think it is
   disputed that the decline of coral reefs in a number of regions started well
   before any appreciable warming. With that said, is it possible that the
   dynamics have shifted or would you assert that the factors that initiated
   the  decline continue to be the fundamental problem? It would still be
   interesting to see how the experts would prioritize the threats today. I
   guess it is unscientific to even speculate, but if it points primarily to
   anthropomorphic  causation wouldn't population growth have to head the
   list?

   Steve