[Coral-List] What do coral reef scientists perceive are the major, threats to Caribbean coral reefs?

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Thu Apr 17 13:02:13 EDT 2014

It's interesting to observe human nature, especially when it is coral
reefers. Attitudes of coral reefers seem to be influenced by who has a
dog in the fight. Many years ago I published that hurricanes were the
number top dog. But that was back when we were having a bunch of
hurricanes and were documenting the extreme damage they did. Later it
was disease that was the problem but at that time all the dogs were
anchor damage and ship wrecks. Disease was taken out of the ring for a
while. We finally got over that so now the latest dog in the fight is
climate change. Before climate change global warming was top dog but
after more than 15-years without much warming climate change became the
dog to bet on. Now that people are learning Earth has always experienced
changing climates attention shifted. Acidification became the top dog.
I am as guilty of betting on the wrong dog as anyone. Several years ago
I thought the top dog (at least in the Florida Keys) was sewage in
groundwater. Next it was dust but now mosquito pesticides might be top
dog. That's one dog that remains to be fully tested.  Or maybe it really
is Lion Fish after all?  Isn't there a dogfish out there somewhere? What
will it be five years from now? Surely the fight will shift again. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor