[Coral-List] Natural Predation and Lionfish

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 21 11:10:07 EDT 2014

   Hi Lad,

   I am familiar with the papers you referenced and I agree that it is likely
   there is no single factor which can control the lionfish invasion. What is
   interesting to me is that the research carried out on the reefs surrounding
   Little  Cayman seems to  dispel  the  belief that  grouper  and  other
   predators won't consume live lionfish.. That reinforces my perspective based
   on anecdotal evidence provided by discussions I've had with a number of
   professional divers throughout the Caribbean region.The researchers were not
   suggesting that natural predation was a catch-all solution, but that perhaps
   it could be a contributing factor in efforts to control. In fact they seemed
   to suggest that these "natural" lionfish predators might benefit from some
   rather intensive training. Feeding on tethered lionfish is not the same as
   flushing them out of their hiding spots, but it does prove a point. I just
   returned from Bonaire where I found lionfish on every dive. They were a lot
   more prevalent than predatory grouper. Looks like we need all the help we
   can get to reverse these trends.

   Regards,

   Steve