[Coral-List] Thank you for the threats!

Rupert Ormond rupert.ormond.mci at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 04:48:41 EDT 2014

Dear Coral-listers,

Please pardon some additional comments on the lists that have been offered.

One or two contributors have commented that some of the threats (e.g.
human over-population) are rather different in nature than others (e.g.
coral predation).

These differences can be accommodated in an improved model / list if one
distinguishes between, PRIMARY, SECONDARY and TERTIARY level threats.
A primary threat would be something like predation or coral disease that
affects the reefs directly.
Coastal Development would be a secondary level threat, that might
generate various primary threats.
Human Overpopulation is a tertiary level threat, that generates various
secondary level threats, such as coastal development and overfishing.

May I add that there is also ambiguity in the use of the word "THREAT".
In this discussion it seems to be being used in the sense of existing
current IMPACTS.
Originally threats was used in the ecology literature to refer to
effects that were likely to happen, the link to exisiting impacts being
that the new impacts most likly to happen in an area would be those
already occurring elsewhere.

This may seem like semantics, but when we talk to non-biologists
including politicians about "threats to reefs" (or other environments),
they are inclined to assume that we are talking about things that have
not yet happened.
In consequence they may not respond with the urgency we would like!

Rupert Ormond**

Corresponding Secretary, International Society for Reef Studies.

Hon. Professor, Centre for Marine Biodiversity & Biotechnology,
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh.

Research Professor of Marine Conservation, King Abdul-Aziz University,
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia