[Coral-List] Prioritizing impacts to coral reefs

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 23 09:54:02 EDT 2014

   Magnus,

   Absolutely the same degree of skepticism should be applied, but the sources
   of the money are becoming more difficult to trace as this recent article in
   Scientific American points out.

   [1]http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-money-changes-climate-debat
   e/

   As for Gene's post, the messenger's source is fair game as are the paper's
   conclusions.  The references do appear to be legitimate, but that says
   nothing about how they were interpreted. I doubt you would find many of the
   authors cited supporting The Science and Public Policy Institute's overall
   findings. Not only does this organization claim that corals will function
   well despite increasing ocean acidification, but they also claim in another
   paper that echinoderms flourish under similar changes in ocean conditions. I
   haven't read every paper published on these topics, but these views appear
   to  me  to  be misrepresenting  the facts. Since a number of those who
   contributed to the references cited are coral-listers, perhaps they could
   help me to more clearly determine who is being deceived by the meticulously
   shrouded  trail  of money that's becoming ever so difficult to follow.
   Steve