[Coral-List] Natural Predation and Lionfish

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 24 17:25:10 EDT 2014

   Hi Luke,
   I'm not questioning the idea that targeted removal is the most efficient
   strategy to deploy in attempts to control lionfish. But like Rudy Bonn, I
   have concerns that competitions and prize money will lead to unforeseen
   damage  to coral reefs just as it has with the open lobster season and
   perhaps then we are looking at a zero-sum game. As for fish feeding, I'm
   just against it in principle based on a desire to keep the oceans wild. It
   would be nice if we had healthy populations of large predatory grouper and
   snapper that would just naturally help control lionfish populations without
   it having any adverse affects, but that may well be a fairy tale. As for the
   dive industry's advocacy regarding shark feeding (where it is legal) that's
   just an extension of a strategy based on the theory that what's good for
   business is good for America or the world I guess. I don't buy into the
   "it's for conservation" argument. That is just an extension of the same line
   that the whale/marine mammal/whale shark captivity industry has been feeding
   the public for a long time.
    Steve
   By the way, you got me with that JEMBES acronym. Best I can tell that's some
   sort of West African goblet drum!