[Coral-List] new book

Ellen Prager pragere at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 30 12:57:36 EDT 2014

I'm thrilled to report that the first book, The Shark Whisperer, in my new middle grade fiction series (Tristan Hunt and the Sea Guardians) is now available online and at or through national booksellers near you (Scarletta Press publisher).

The book(s) combine humor and adventure with learning about the ocean, marine life, habitats, and ocean issues. It is meant to be a fun, easy read and in the back there is a note about what is real, what is not, and a link to an accompanying website with additional resources, a blog, puzzle, related events, and more (www.tristan-hunt.com).

Of course with my background coral reefs play a major role in the books, and in the first book…you also get ooids, stromatolites, standing waves, lots of cool sea creatures, issues of shark finning, coral reef destruction, and hopefully plenty of fun! The second book takes on marine pollution as a strong focus.

So far the early response (all ages) has been great. I recently visited with Manatee Middle School 7th graders and here are some quotes from cards I just received from the students:
"When you first started reading the book, I was hooked in the beginning. When you stopped reading the beginning , I'm just like NOOOOO, keep reading!!!!" I love the book."
"I just started reading and can't put the book down. ... can't wait for the second book."
"I like it so much. I read the Shark Whisperer every night when my big brother close the lights I put a bookmark then go to sleep."
"Your book is on the top 10 list of my favorite books."

And here's one that make me especially happy that with the help of sponsors we were able to give students books.
"I really enjoyed it (the field trip to Rookery Bay and presentation). Thank you for the book. I'm really grateful for it because now I own my first book ever."

You can also read about The Shark Whisperer at mission-blue.org.
And keep your eyes out for me and a spot on The Today Show, scheduled for late next week (though it is tv, so that could change).

There's often an outcry on this listserv about better informing the public and reaching out to mass audiences. This is my latest endeavor in trying to do that in a way that combines science and entertainment, and leads to people of all ages wanting to know more and being more concerned about related issues. Hope it works!

Ellen
Dr. Ellen Prager
Earth2Ocean, Inc