[Coral-List] Bring Back the Gulf

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Fri Aug 1 13:56:53 EDT 2014

Having served on the Dept. of Interior Minerals Management Service
science committee (3 years and before the name change) and having spent
many hours diving and researching and photographing marine life under
offshore rigs I am well aware of the extensive scientific research done
on the environmental effects of rigs and artificial reefs in general.
These rigs exist in an area consisting of miles and miles of featureless
gooey mud populated mainly by shrimp. I am also aware of the marine life
lost when explosives are placed in the rig legs in order blow them off
below the "mud line" as stipulated by existing regulations.Almost every
fish down there including thousands of pounds of red snapper, grouper,
angel fish and other tropicals that depend on these habitats, including
protected turtles, become shark food when rigs are blasted loose from
the bottom. Why is there no concern for the bicatch discarded by
shrimpers.  One has to consider where the idea and political motivation
to remove these essential marine habitats from the Gulf is coming from.
The decision certainly is not science or humanitarian-based and neither
does it make ecological sense. We can only scratch our heads and wonder,
especially since the secretary of the interior who created the idle iron
project has moved on. The authors of this book have mixed damage from
oil with iron, a primary ocean nutrient. These rigs are no longer
extracting oil so oil is irrelevant to their argument. Is the makings of
another NGO being developed to provide tax benefits to the unwary?
Follow the money. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor