[Coral-List] Fwd: Parrotfish

Mary Beth Sutton caribbeancleanwater at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 13:31:21 EDT 2014

We had all of the diadema destroyed in a small local bay during the
Christmas time storm event in St. Lucia and now the algae is over running
the reefs.  I am not an expert at re-introduction.  Does anyone have
guidelines for reintroducing diadema?  We hope to get the community to
assist.

Mary Beth

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Quenton Dokken <qdokken at gulfmex.org> wrote:

> I was just on the Flower Garden Banks and was excited to see Diadema
> returning.  Still not at numbers of 20 years ago, but moving in the right
> direction.
>
> Stetson Bank, in the more temperate coastal waters, was covered with
> Diadema!  I don't recall ever seeing that density.  Interestingly, when
> Diadema died off the Flower Garden Banks, they did not die off of Stetson
> just 40 miles to the west of the West Flower Garden Bank.
>
> Quenton Dokken, Ph.D.
> President/CEO
> Gulf of Mexico Foundation, Inc.
>
> 361-882-3939 o
> 361-442-6064 c
> qdokken at gulfmex.org
>
> www.gulfmex.org

Mary Beth H. Sutton
Executive Director
Caribbean Student Environmental Alliance