[Coral-List] Recent paper about land-based source pollution impacts in Acropora palmata

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Tue Aug 5 11:37:01 EDT 2014

Hi Edwin:

With all due respect, I do not think that the methods you report using to measure nutrient concentrations would yield usable data for marine waters.  The concentrations you report (and the variance) are excessively high and the La Motte system you report using would not be used by any knowledgeable marine nutrient chemist:  Just not sensitive enough for this application.  It is difficult and takes considerable expertise and equipment to do nutrients in tropical marine waters.  If you think I am incorrect, I would appreciate it if you could send me some of your raw data including your blanks and standards for me to review.

Alina

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." Eleanor Roosevelt

"The time is always right to do what is right"  Martin Luther King

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
Center for Marine Science
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
tel:  910-962-2362  fax: 910-962-2410  cell: 910-200-3913
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta