[Coral-List] Assistant Dean Position Opening - The School for Field Studies
jobs at fieldstudies.org
Fri Aug 8 14:56:16 EDT 2014
ASSISTANT DEAN POSITION
The School for Field Studies
Institutional Mission: As an international non-profit academic institution,
The School for Field Studies (SFS) provides fully-accredited, college level
environmental education and conducts field-based research for community
clients through its five-year research plans. SFS is committed to providing
hands-on, interdisciplinary education and environmental research in
partnership with natural resource dependent communities. Our goals are
twofold: to provide students with a unique and challenging educational and
life experience that assists them in successfully advancing their careers as
skilled professionals and globally aware citizens; and to work with local
community stakeholders to develop models for the sustainable management of
their natural resources.
The Assistant Dean will work with SFS faculty to provide dynamic leadership,
guidance, and coordination in areas related to the delivery of instruction
and student learning, including approval of the development of course
outlines, learning practices, examination techniques, and grading policies.
Under the general direction of the Dean of Academic Programs, the Assistant
Dean assists with new faculty recruitment and orientation; evaluation of
faculty, including assessment of student evaluations; and assisting in
oversight of academic policies. Assists in the development of new programs
and revision of existing curricula, develops and oversees initiatives to
foster student and program quality, works closely with the Dean to implement
and assess strategic goals. Other duties include preparing copy for
marketing materials, preparing presentations for internal meetings and
* Doctorate in a field with a significant environmental focus or in
education/ curriculum and instruction with a focus on STEM education.
* Minimum of 4 semesters' teaching experience at the college level in
* Experience in curriculum or course development and review and
thorough knowledge of academic procedures and culture.
* Familiarity with international education programming
* Expertise in field of ecology, socioeconomics, environmental policy
or resource management through education and/or practice.
* Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish
positive relationships with faculty and staff at the field centers.
* Excellent management and administrative skills, and strong written
and oral communication skills.
Preferred qualifications include experience working on an international team
or with foreign instructors; research experience in overseas field settings;
scholarship in teaching and learning; ability to train SFS faculty in
effective teaching and learning strategies, with a knowledge of and
experience with field-based instruction; administrative experience in higher
education; knowledge of, or research experience in, one of the regions where
SFS currently operates.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Lead curriculum review for SFS programs and learning outcomes
* Assist in development and implementation of strategies for academic
* Lead curriculum development for new programs
* Review and approve academic program content contained in academic
portfolios, course syllabi, and program schedules.
* Conduct or lead research on teaching and learning, and grant writing
and dissemination (publications, presentations) of research and analysis of
SFS educational model
* Conduct visits to SFS affiliate colleges and universities and
deliver lectures on SFS programs and current research; deliver seminars on
SFS research and conservation efforts.
* Develop and deliver instructional training for SFS faculty
* Provide feedback to faculty on their instruction and assessment
* Conduct periodic SFS site visits to observe and help enhance faculty
performance, support program planning and implementation, and assist with
program upgrades and other academic program development
* Assist with student admissions as needed (review prerequisite
qualifications of applicants as needed)
* Assist with writing and reviewing program-related content for
marketing, student handbooks and faculty guidebook
* Represent SFS at professional meetings and conferences
* Work with SFS Institutional Relations to ensure good relations with
Start Date: Fall 2014
Reports to: Dean of Academic Programs
Salary: Competitive annual salary depending on experience and
qualifications, plus competitive benefits
To Apply: Submit a detailed cover letter outlining relevant experience and
addressing the qualifications and expectations stated above and curriculum
vitae online at http://fieldstudies.catsone.com/careers/index.php?m=portal
References will be required upon request. Equal Opportunity Employer.
More information about the Coral-List