[Coral-List] impact of beach rock on erosion

David Fisk davefisk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 20:13:14 EDT 2014

In this discussion on beach rock it would be important to also consider the
issue of erosion due to the removal of sand, rubble and calcareous rock for
building and road purposes (either around the current erosion area or
further longshore). I am not familiar with the Maldives situation that was
mentioned, but excessive use of coral reef material for construction
purposes has been well known for some locations in the Maldives. Like other
Coral List postings, I think it would be unwise to tamper with the beach
rock and to assess local conditions that may be the cause.

Dave