[Coral-List] impact of beachrock on beach erosion

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Wed Aug 13 10:10:19 EDT 2014

Gene makes an important point that we have largely ignored regarding
beachrock - it's rapid cementation when beach conditions are right. On
St.Croix, either Jeff Hanor or Paul Aronson drilled a test well in
beachrock on the eastern end of the island. He capped the well and let it
equilebrate before installing instrumentation a few months later.
Unfortunately, when they returned, the hole was already cemented in.

The lesson in this enecdote is that, if conditions are right, beachrock
formation is FAST by any temporal perspective. The key here may be what
constitutes "right". Certainly, this involves a sand reservoir in which the
mixing of fresh and marine waters can occur. So, the solution may be the
opposite of what has been proposed. The suggestion has involved doing
something to the beachrock to change nearshore beach dynamics. Perhaps the
answer is restoring a beach environment in which beachrock can form at
present sea level. Clearly, the rapidity with which the needed cementation
can occur will allow this.

By way of another post, I disagree that there are "adequate" engineering
solutions. There are adequate solutions and there are engineering solutions
in this locale. However, they are not mutual. The reality is that the
combination of physical factors described by Mike Risk, sea-level rise
caused by largely first-world carbon and the juxtaposition of a permanent
structure next to a very mobile shoreline have created an unsustainable
situation. Complex engineering models may be able to minimize the impacts
of turbulence around an artificial structure, but they will neither totally
eliminate it nor offset the realities of the anthropogenically driven
changes in the natural system.

Dennis