[Coral-List] Position Announcement: FDEP CRCP Awareness and Appreciation Coordinator
Joanna.Walczak at dep.state.fl.us
Thu Aug 14 15:51:58 EDT 2014
Greetings! Apologies for cross-postings. Please distribute widely.
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection's (FDEP) Coral Reef Conservation Program (CRCP) is currently hiring an ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST III as our Awareness and Appreciation Coordinator. (Note: This position is pending reclassification, so please disregard the Motorboat Mechanic title in the posting.)
How to Apply: http://jobs.myflorida.com/viewjob.html?refnode=3118606
Title: Awareness and Appreciation Coordinator
Salary Range: $40,948.00
Location: Miami, Florida
Job Close Date: August 25, 2014
Anticipated Start Date: October 1, 2014
* Bachelor's degree in Environmental Science or Education and at least 3 years of experience in public relations, social marketing, communications, outreach, and media relations experience, including development of communication strategies, media campaigns, press releases, and articles.
* Knowledge of coral reef ecosystems and general marine science or coastal resource management. Ability to identify the hard coral and reef fish species of southeast Florida.
* Excellent organizational, writing, and editing skills (both technical and colloquial). Excellent public speaking and meeting facilitation skills.
* Ability to be flexible, multitask, and meet tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple, multi-year, concurrent projects. Ability to work in a team setting and also independently and to complete tasks with attention to detail under minimal supervision. Ability to determine work priorities, ensure proper completion of work assignments. Ability to communicate courteously and effectively with a diverse range of people. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
* Scuba diving experience (> 60 dives), Nitrox certification, and experience as a diver for marine science related field work preferred. Skill in small boat handling and trailering, or the ability to acquire these skills.
Other Information: This is a grant funded Full Time Equivalent (FTE) position. Although renewal of grant is expected, position is contingent upon renewal of grant.
Required Licenses/Certifications and Other Specific Requirements of Law: Scuba Diver Certification; Valid Class E Florida Driver's License.
Job Responsibilities: See full position description by following the How To Apply link above.
Provides technical assistance and leads the planning and implementation of local action strategy projects identified in the Awareness & Appreciation (AA) section of the Southeast Florida Coral Reef Initiative (SEFCRI), and AA-related CRCP projects as identified in the CRCP Strategic Plan.
Develops and manages grants, contracts, oversees contractors, and associated progress reporting and financial tracking for all assigned projects. Prepares proposals, budgets, and contracts for assigned projects. Organizes, facilitates, and participates in SEFCRI-related workshops and meetings. Assists with CRCP and SEFCRI programmatic and strategic planning.
Assists with Our Florida Reefs community planning process, including facilitating and coordinating the involvement of appropriate communications and media liaisons in the Our Florida Reefs process. Works with numerous partners in both the public and private sectors to further the state's efforts to protect coral reef resources in southeast Florida.
Leads development and implementation of a communications and outreach strategy to support the SEFCRI and CRCP including development, presentation and distribution of outreach products and messages (e.g. exhibits, brochures, tent cards, workshops) at local community and other events, and recreational/tourist facilities.
Fulfills role of CRCP Communication Liaison including coordinating CRCP & SEFCRI involvement and participation in community events. Works with FDEP Communications Office to develop and transmit press releases, articles and other media vehicles for the SEFCRI and CRCP. Primary CRCP contact for media and public inquiries.
Other duties as assigned:
* Snorkel or Dive as required to assist with field work.
* Periodic weekend and evening work may be required.
* Regular local travel throughout southeast Florida. Occasional long-distance travel.
Please do not respond to this email. Submit state of Florida employment application, cover letter, resume and a list of three references via the How to Apply link above. For assistance, with the application process call 877-562-7287.
Joanna C. Walczak
Southeast Regional Administrator - Florida Coastal Office
Florida Department of Environmental Protection
1277 NE 79th Street Causeway
Miami, Florida 33138
Email: Joanna.Walczak at dep.state.fl.us<mailto:Joanna.Walczak at dep.state.fl.us>
Websites: Biscayne Bay Aquatic Preserves<http://www.dep.state.fl.us/coastal/sites/biscayne/> ~ Coral Reef Conservation Program<http://www.dep.state.fl.us/coastal/programs/coral/> ~
Coupon Bight Aquatic Preserve<http://www.dep.state.fl.us/coastal/sites/coupon/> ~ Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary<http://www.floridakeys.noaa.gov/>
Lignumvitae Aquatic Preserve<http://www.dep.state.fl.us/coastal/sites/lignumvitae/> ~ Southeast Florida Coral Reef Initiative (SEFCRI)<http://www.southeastfloridareefs.net/> & Our Florida Reefs<www.ourfloridareefs.org>
Like us on Facebook at: FloridasCoralProgram<http://www.facebook.com/FloridasCoralProgram> ~ FloridaKeysNOAAgov<www.facebook.com/FloridaKeysNOAAgov> ~ BiscayneBayAquaticPreserves<http://www.facebook.com/BiscayneBayAquaticPreserves>
More information about the Coral-List