[Coral-List] Fwd: Bring Back the Gulf

Steve Kolian stevekolian at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 18 10:25:59 EDT 2014

Dear Ms. Quirolo,

In
response to your comments to me via Gene, I know that the federal government
has not designated offshore platforms as essential fish habitat (EFH).  The
point of the previous list-serve comment is that the Federal government SHOULD designate
them as EFH.  I thought I made that pretty clear.

Then
you go on to make a number of statements that are misleading or not true:

It
is not true that the Gulf of Mexico Fisheries Management Council
(GMFMC) wants the platforms removed. I spoke to GMFMC fishery biologist
 on (August 14, 2014) and he stated that GMFMC would prefer that
the platforms stay in the Gulf of Mexico not be removed. They want to designate
them as EFH, but they cannot.  The reason
is that the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) and Bureau of Safety and
Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) would not recognize the designation and would
have them remove anyways. They did not just “dismiss” the offshore platforms as you
stated below.

It
is not true that there are no hermatypic corals on offshore platforms. Nine
species of hermatypic coral are known to settle on offshore platforms; however,
they are not as common as ahematypic corals. Your comment suggests that hermatypic
corals must be present to qualify a substrate or habitat as a coral reef
ecosystem?  What about octocoral,
hydroids, gorgonians, sponges, tunicates, bryazoans, algae, and the multitude
of other coral reef invertebrates? Fortunately, the U.S. federal regulations do
not make that discrimination.

You
state that the platforms allow for the proliferation of non-native
invasive  sp. Tubastrea. These organisms
are not invading the Flower Gardens. Tubastrea are not common at the Flower Gardens,
they are found to be cryptic and settle in crevices. They also display a preference
for vertical substrate such as platforms and dock pilings. They are not common
on the Flower Gardens and are not taking over the coral reef as you suggest.. Over
time and on platforms in stable, high-salinity water, we found that ahermatypic coral
can overgrow Tubastrea -  preferring the
horizontal transoms.

You stated that, “G. toxicus*, associated with
ciguatera, has also been found on platforms”. Are you basing this statement on the one
publication on this subject by Villareal et al. 2002? Where they state, “Only
minor toxicity (<0.15 ppb) was noted in two of 20 great barracuda (Sphyraena barracuda) examined”. Please
note that ciguatera fish poisoning is rare in the northern Gulf of Mexico but
all the documented cases suggest that the fish responsible for the ciguatera
fish poisoning were caught adjacent to the Flower Gardens.

You commented that
the offshore platforms “aggregate fish, leading to overfishing”.
The attraction vs. production hypothesis is often used to dismiss the
ecological value of the platforms despite the numerous peer review publications
that point out the flaws of
the attraction vs. production
model. The attraction vs. production debate fails to assess  scleractinian corals, hydrozoans, octocorals
and gorgonians that are not supposed to be removed from the Gulf of Mexico - Magnuson Act (50 CFR 622.2). These
coral reef organisms have a more stringent protection status than red snapper (Lutjanus campechanus).  In addition, investigations into the attraction
and production properties of offshore platforms conveniently focuses on one
fish, such as red snapper and fail to recognize the large populations of
shallow water, reef dependent fish. Most of the platforms reside in an area
defined by thousands of square miles of murky seafloor largely absent of
natural coral reef areas.  The platforms are
producing obligatory reef fish communities that consist of Caribbean reef fish
such as angelfish (sp. Pomacanthidae),
surgeonfishes (sp. Acanthuridae)
damselfish (sp. Pomacentridae),
wrasses (sp. Labridae), filefish (sp.
Monacanthidae), spadefish (sp. Ephppidae), triggerfish (sp. Balistidae), and butterfly fish (sp. Chaetodontidae). It is neglectful to use
the attraction vs. production hypothesis to ignore the removal of platforms,
destroying millions of obligatory reef fish and billions of protected
invertebrates such as scleractinian corals, octocorals, hydrozoans, sponges,
and bryozoans.

Your statement “But to compare them to coral reefs in
biodiversity is just not factually accurate”, suggests that somewhere in my previous blog comments I made
the claim that platforms possess the same or greater biodiversity as coral
reefs. I am guessing that you mean coral reefs in marine sanctuaries such as the
Flower Gardens or the Dry Tortugas.  I
would not have said something like that because the diversity of organisms on
an offshore platform is directly related to the regions salinity and
nutrient regime in the area. I would not compare hard substrate habitats
located on the Louisiana continental shelf to coral reefs such as the Flower
Gardens or those found in the Florida Keys.  The age of a platform also plays a role in the
composition of organisms that grow on the platforms and I know there is a difference in the biodiversity of a habitat
that’s been around for a couple of decades to one that’s been around for
thousands of years. I would not
claim that the biodiversity of invertebrates on offshore platforms are equal to
or greater than the Dry Tortugas or Flower Gardens because, among other things,
the salinity regime is less stable and these sanctuaries have been around much
longer.

I did say that: ”there are
protected coral, octocoral, hydroids, etc attached to many of the existing
operating and idle structures and that the removal of offshore platforms
conflicts with the laws published in Sustainable Fisheries Act/Magnuson-Stevens
Fishery Conservation and Management Act (“Magnuson Act”, 16 U.S.C.A.  §
1801, et seq.), Endangered Species Act (“ESA”, 16 U.S.C.A.Ch. 35, et seq.) and
National Environmental Policy Act (“NEPA”, 42 U.S.C.A.  Ch.  55, et
seq.). “

In
the future, do not direct your comments to me through Gene. Please address me
directly.

Best Regards,
Steve Kolian