[Coral-List] fish and corals smell reefs

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Fri Aug 22 13:48:58 EDT 2014

This is really a brilliant, break-through piece of research! Such clear
results are rare in coral reef ecology.

Of course, it does not preclude entirely the idea that larval fish
additionally sense vibrations associated with reefs (snapping shrimp, sand
movements, crashing waves, etc.). That is an old debate, and includes some
physiologist arguments about poor auditory and lateral line sensory
development in larval and pre-settled juvenile fishes.

Now I am hoping someone puts recorded sounds and physical emulations of reef
vibrations into a similar plume system, to find the relative importance of
olfactory vs. vibratory sensing at different levels.

Meanwhile, we can now add 'stench' to the list of hysteresis effects which
help macroalgal-dominated states resist switching back to coral-dominated
ones.

Congratulations to the authors!

John

John W. McManus, PhD
Director, National Center for Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Professor, Marine Biology and Ecology
Coral Reef Ecology and Management Lab (CREM Lab)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)
University of Miami, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, 33149
jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu      http://ncore.rsmas.miami.edu/
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/John_McManus/

"If you lose a diamond ring in the bedroom, don't look for it in the living
room just because the light there is better".