[Coral-List] Crowdfunding Project, Easter Island and Salas y Gómez Coral Reefs

James Herlan boro.stylee at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 11:57:40 EST 2014

I would like to introduce my crowdfunding project titled, "Digitizing the
Coral Reefs of Easter Island and Salas y Gómez," that just launched on
experiment.com
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fexperiment.com%2F&h=tAQEEhesp&enc=AZN2kn0ddGh5CX4pakgxAnwrktzCu3W-foa0x4-VP-oWVJZAdlmGRt2uhm6eF1iX82OWNAUJkjyV-DBkqFYjRmJ7vjDWRuqjgnXMPpSFmDo-SwkjLxNiQIQInm4UjTvVwYRZbjbyF70_Ww6HgxpsF2tQzDavXkxsMk5yKQMw9S3qtQ&s=1>
today.
Please excuse my self-promotion during this time of year, but I figure
there is no better time than the present. Briefly, I will be traveling to
Easter Island and Salas y Gómez beginning in March 2015 to research
different aspects of their coral reef ecosystems for my doctoral
thesis. Specifically,
I will examine the effects wave energy and overfishing have on the benthic
community structures and their overall health. My crowdfunding project
seeks $1,000 for two GoPro HERO4 cameras that will record digital imagery
of coral reef habitats. The imagery will then be used to create underwater
landscape mosaics, or photomosaics, to analyze the benthic coral
communities over time. The project will run for 40 days. All the
information is on the experiment.com
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fexperiment.com%2F&h=nAQFPT4s1&enc=AZOi5fSHzKKu2xKaUQkN4lLa34rVt06JAt-_0AF2_xWf0hziE-6HN49mkYojQUva7dEi22vyr1VwQRvXALupzj0sjKTHg0M11z8yZoaVBoYaP9s4FRKhR95QMvihqXSbOu5tBzidqc4bmipqD1U2ZJQ3mIfhwWcmEdpcI5vH2ro8tw&s=1>
website
provided in this post. Please check it out and make any level of donation
you can if you think this research is important to coral reef science and
conservation. I will provide more information and updates on this project
on my Facebook, Twitter, and personal website, unionave.net.
<http://unionave.net/>

https://experiment.com/projects/digitizing-the-coral-reefs-of-easter-island-and-salas-y-gomez

James J. Herlan
P.O. Box 37
St. John, USVI
00831-0037
www.unionave.net

James J. Herlan
Graduate Student Researcher

Millennium Nucleus for Ecology and

Sustainable Management of Oceanic Islands (ESMOI)

www.esmoi.cl

Universidad Católica del Norte

Departamento de Biología Marina

Doctorado en Biología y Ecología Aplicada

Larrondo 1281
Casilla 117
Coquimbo, Chile
www.dr-bea.cl/