[Coral-List] Lionfish in the news

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 23:34:41 EST 2014

    Thanks Matt!

    I took a look back at Lessios et al. (1984) and it appears to me from
the map showing different dates that the Diadema disease hit different
locations, that the disease spread in both directions from Panama, going
clockwise, north from Panama, then east to the Bahamas, then southeast to
reach the Windwards, and at the same time it spread east from Panama along
the coast of South America.  It appears to have reached the Windwards going
both directions, at about the same time.  It is true that prevailing
currents in the Windwards move westward.  However, as shown in the Lessios
et al. map, there are boundary currents along the South American coast that
go in the opposite direction to the main current offshore.  Another thing
to keep in mind, is that in many places in the world, the average or mean
or net current may go one direction, however variability over time is
large, and at different times small parts of the water mass may move in a
variety of different directions.  In places with the strongest currents
like the Florida Current, that is likely to be very rare if it occurs at
all, but most other places it is common.  Net effect is that a water-borne
pathogen can sometimes move in directions that don't seem likely if you
just look at the direction of prevailing currents, because part of the time
the water isn't moving that direction.
    Lessios et al. document a great deal of detail about how the spread
followed water currents.  The mass of evidence showed that it followed
water currents, including to all of the Windward islands except Barbados.
Barbados got it a couple months before the rest of the Windwards.  They
also talk about the boundary currents, and provide details that fit with
dispersal along island coasts that way.
    If you re-read the Lessios article, Gene, you'll see why most
scientists accept that the pathogen followed the currents, the data have so
many details that are explained in detail by the currents that it is
obviously well supported.  African dust can't explain why it spread in all
these detailed patterns.  African dust would likely arrive at the eastern
end of the Caribbean first, and move in a very broad front in a few days
westward across the Caribbean, either infecting all areas at the same time,
or with very little delay from east going west.  That is very clearly NOT
the pattern that it happened in.  Take a look at the Lessios paper.
    The spread of Lionfish from Florida southeastward appears to me to be
quite similar to the pattern of Diadema spread shown in Lessios.  The coral
Tubastraea coccinea followed a pattern of spread very similar to that of
the Diadema disease (Fenner and Banks, 2004).  The principle difference was
in the speed of the spread, Diadema spread throughout the Caribbean in one
year, while Tubastraea coccinea took about 60 years.  That is likely
because the spread was done stepping-stone style, and it took only about a
week for the Diadema to die and presumably release a new batch of pathogen,
while it takes about 18 months or so for Tubastraea to grow large enough to
reproduce (Fenner and Banks, 2004).  It appears to me that the rate of
Lionfish spread is slower than Diadema, but faster than Tubastraea.  Your
African dust hypothesis ("just dropped out of the prevailing trade winds")
doesn't appear to me to be able to explain any of these things, in fact if
you predict the way it would spread from your theory, it appears to me that
the actual reported patterns are strong evidence against your theory.
Tubastraea and lionfish clearly didn't fall out of the tradewinds, yet they
followed the same pattern of spread.
   Cheers,  Doug

Lessios HA, Robertson DR, Cubit JD  (1984)  Spread of* Diadema* mass
mortality through the Caribbean.  Science 35: 335-337.

Fenner, D. and Banks, K.  2004.  Orange cup coral, *Tubastraea coccinea*,
invades Florida and the Flower Garden Banks, Northwestern Gulf of Mexico.
Coral Reefs 23: 505-507.