[Coral-List] Lionfish in the news

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 3 10:29:11 EST 2014

   I claim no expertise, only interest and concern, but from all that I can
   gather there is still a lot about the dynamics of the lionfish invasion that
   has yet to be settled. All of the studies I've read warrant both careful
   consideration and scrutiny. The science brought to light in Green et al
   (2014)  deserves  respectful  analysis  as do  the findings of several
   other efforts including those of  Mumby et al (2011), Hackerott et al (2013)
   and  Barbour  et  al  (2011).  Even  if natural predation proves to be
   delusive, one study points out that "targeting lionfish in mangrove habitat
   would focus removals on the important juvenile stage, while also reducing
   predation stress on natives using the habitat as a nursery". So it may be
   prudent to tread carefully before committing resources and focus on removal
   programs that could ultimately prove to be less effective. Beyond that, it
   seems transparent as  to why my particular industry (scuba diving) has
   embraced  and  promoted  this  issue while turning a blind eye towards
   the greater anthropogenic contributors to marine ecosystem degradation. I
   don't want to paint removal efforts as scapegoating, but aren't we somewhat
   guilty here of picking off the low hanging fruit?      Since emails can
   sometimes misrepresent intended tone and demeanor, please be assured that I
   raise these questions with sincere respect and admiration for all involved.

   Steve