[Coral-List] Mapping global reef tourism

mark at mdspalding.co.uk mark at mdspalding.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 13:10:54 EST 2014

   Has anyone on the list worked on the global valuation of reef tourism?

   Working with Lauretta Burke at the World Resources Institute and researchers
   in  Cambridge we are trying to develop a new map showing the spread of
   coastal  tourism, and then of reef specific tourism for the coral reef
   countries of the world. The aim is to get sufficient resolution to show
   spatial variability at sub-country levels and from these to derive some
   simple metrics of relative value (not dollars, at least at this stage).

   To do this we are hoping to develop proxy indicators from a combination of
   global databases and social media sourcing (using methods similar to those
   recently published by the Natural Capital Project: Wood et al 2013 Using
   social media to quantify nature-based tourism and recreation. Nature –
   Scientific Reports. DOI: 10.1038/srep02976).

   We’d be really interested to connect with any others working on similar
   studies.

   All best

   Mark Spalding and Joscelyne Ashpole

   Mark D Spalding, PhD

   Senior Marine Scientist, Global Marine Team

   The Nature Conservancy

   Mail: Dept Zoology, University of Cambridge,

              Downing Street, CB2 3EJ, UK

   E: [1]mspalding at tnc.org

   T: +44 1223 334459

   M: +44 7761 493256