[Coral-List] Global Microbiome of White Plague Disease (WPD)

Christian R Voolstra christian.voolstra at kaust.edu.sa
Sun Feb 16 03:00:25 EST 2014

Dear friends and colleagues,

if you are interested in coral disease, please have a look at our recent publication in Molecular Ecology 'Bacterial profiling of White Plague Disease across corals and oceans indicates a conserved and distinct disease microbiome', which is freely accessible here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mec.12638/full

We used 16S rRNA gene microarrays to assay differences in bacterial assemblages of healthy and diseased colonies displaying White Plague Disease (WPD) signs from two closely related Caribbean coral species (Orbicella faveolata and Orbicella franksi) and two Indo-Pacific coral species (Pavona duerdeni and Porites lutea). Our data demonstrate that similar-appearing disease phenotypes produce microbial community patterns that are consistent over coral species and oceans, irrespective of the putative underlying pathogen. From this, we were able to to derive conserved bacterial footprints of diseased coral holobionts that might help in identifying key bacterial species related to the underlying etiopathology.

Thank you,
Chris

Christian R Voolstra
PI Reef Genomics