[Coral-List] Position available: marine research technician (GIS), Beaufort NC
Shay Viehman - NOAA Federal
shay.viehman at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 11 15:51:59 EDT 2014
Location: Beaufort, NC
This is a technical position that supports NOAA scientists in managing
spatial (GIS) and tabular data for research on coastal habitats. Specific
research projects involve(s) characterization of benthic and fish
communities in coastal and offshore hardbottom and coral reef habitats. The
main responsibilities for this position are entering and verifying tabular
and spatial data; developing cartographic maps and data summaries for use
in publications, reports, presentations, field research; assisting with
development of metadata; communicating technical information to colleagues.
The person will maintain a professional working environment and promote
teamwork. Depending on program needs, interests, and skills, the person may
have the opportunity to take part in a limited amount of public outreach
efforts and/or field work.
Knowledge, skills, abilities:
· 2-3 years experience and Bachelor’s degree in biological or
· Computer skills including coursework or related experience using
Microsoft Word, Excel, and ESRI ArcGIS 10.x and relational databases
· Familiarity with data management principles and metadata creation
· Knowledge of marine ecology
· Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
· Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team
· Organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated and adept at
problem-solving and time management
· Experience with database applications, R statistical programming
language, and/or Python programming language preferred.
Open until filled.
More information about the Coral-List