[Coral-List] Turtle imprinting.

jsfajans jsfajans at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 25 13:04:10 EDT 2014

In the 1950s a scientist from the University of Florida by the name of
Archie Carr used Coast Guard aircraft to fly down to Costa Rica? (I
believe), and collect turtle eggs.  He brought them back to Florida, hatched
them and at a certain age he returned them to the beach where they were
collected and let them go.  Tagged individuals began to return to lay eggs
some 20 years later.  His "experiments" helped re-populate a depleted
population and initiated conservation efforts in the area.  I think you will
find that his efforts and successes are well published and should give you
some insight on the basis for the methods you describe from Fiji.  I believe
the concept has proven to be sound.  For more information you might contact
Dr. Karen Bjorndahl at UF.

Regards,
jon