[Coral-List] The Saga of Dean Jacobson and Majuro Coral Mining

James Hendee jim.hendee at noaa.gov
Wed Mar 19 12:59:58 EDT 2014

Greta,

    Of course you can "take a stand"!  The only thing you can't do on
Coral-List is lobby Congress (well, you can't tall each other dirty
rotten scoundrels, either).  I have previously mentioned a way to find
everything that has been posted on Coral-List by using this search term
in your browser,

site:http://coral.aoml.noaa.gov/pipermail/coral-list/ majuro

but what you do with the information after that is the key to gaining
traction on this issue.  I would start by making a chronology of events,
try to get an independent verification of the event, and maybe then fill
in with other relevant social and environmental issues.  I would think
that some you environmental journalists out there would see this as a
golden opportunity and follow up with emails to Dean, among others
involved in the issue.  Who knows, maybe there will be enough for a
paper in /Environmental Conservation/
<http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayJournal?jid=ENC> (the
Editor is subscribed to this list) or other similar journal (depends
upon the slant, of course).

I personally have written to both of my senators, and have written to my
colleagues in NOAA, but they are all pretty much knowledgeable of Dean's
plight already.

One thing for sure, whatever you do can only help the cause.

    Cheers, Jim

//