[Coral-List] The Economist asks

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 18:24:20 EDT 2014

Hi, Ian.
I agree that a more specific question would have been better. It seems to
me that the article in which the question is embedded makes it clear that
anthropogenic climate change is the issue, and I expect that regular
Economist readers familiar with previous articles on the topic would take
it that way. It is unfortunate that a poorly framed question leaves the
results open to easy dismissal. Despite that, I find it encouraging that
the issue is being raised in the Economist given its influential readership.
Bill

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Ian Zink <izink at rsmas.miami.edu> wrote:

> Very interesting and thank you for sharing.  Too bad the survey does not
> differ between those "believing" in a more general ability of climates
> to fluctuate/change and the related, and more timely issue, of
> anthropogenic influences on that fluctuation/change.  Those would be
> some even more telling numbers.  I find it sad to think that only 81% of
> voters agree to "climate change" despite the broad acceptance of
> climatic events like Ice Ages.
>
> <)))><  <)))><  <)))><  <)))><  <)))><  <)))><  <)))><  <)))><  <)))><
>  <)))><
>
>   Ian C. Zink
>   Research Associate
>   Cooperative Institute for Marine&  Atmospheric Studies (CIMAS)
>   U. of Miami - Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)
>   4600 Rickenbacker Causeway
>   Miami, FL 33149
>   cell: 603-498-3988
>   email: izink at rsmas.miami.edu
>
>   NOAA Affiliate
>   NOAA - National Marine Fisheries Service
>   Southeast Fisheries Science Center
>   75 Virginia Beach Dr.
>   Miami, Florida 33149
>   office: 305-361-4297
>   email: ian.zink at noaa.gov
>

> On 3/19/2014 1:59 PM, Bill Allison wrote:
> > Is Climate Change a Fact?
> >
> > The Economist states its position and solicits reader's opinions about
> the
> > reality of climate change.
> >
> > The Question asked:
> > "Do you believe the debate is settled? Is climate change a fact? Cast
> your
> > vote and join the discussion."
> >
> > As of writing, today, March 19, there have been 793 votes of which 81%
> > asserted "Yes".
> >
> > This is important because, (1) the magazine targets highly educated
> readers
> > and claims an audience containing many influential executives and
> > policy-maker, and (2) it aims "to take part in a severe contest between
> > intelligence, which presses forward, and an unworthy, timid ignorance
> > obstructing our progress".
> >

> > To read the article and participate, use this link:
> > http://www.economist.com/economist-asks/climate-change-fact-0

"... the earth is, always has been, and always will be more beautiful than
it is useful." - Ophuls, 1977