[Coral-List] Majuro Coral Mining

Nicole Crane nicrane at cabrillo.edu
Thu Mar 20 00:00:52 EDT 2014

Well, I'll weigh in briefly, but probably ignorantly.  I work in
Micronesia (Yap State), where the outer islands are autonomously
governed.  When communities are properly informed of the impacts of
something like this, they are quite free to (and usually do) say no.  I
suppose Majuro is not in that lucky governmental situation. However, it
doesn't take empirical evidence, only a brief look at history, to
understand that this project will have an impact, and it won't be a good
one.  So maybe it takes a heart to heart talk with the officials from
RMI and islanders about what we DO know about these projects, not what
we don't know.  If they are properly informed, then they can make
decisions with that legacy on them.  It will be their choice.  At the
end of the day it has to come down to development vrs. environment,
since they rarely compliment each other.  Each country needs to evaluate
which will carry them farther.  We can help them evaluate that, in
addition to petitioning the 'wrong doers'.  In my experience it often
works best to get people from 'within' to really engage.

But then again, I am not speaking as an 'insider' here.  Great work all
- thanks for your dedication!

NIcole

On 3/18/14, 9:31 PM, Zoe Richards wrote:
> Dear coral-list,
>
> To further the discussion about Majuro Atoll and plight of Dean Jacobson, since first meeting Dean in 2002 we have known him to be passionately involved in coral reef monitoring and conservation initiatives in the Marshall Islands, including teaching students hands-on marine science at the College of the Marshall Islands.  As Dean has highlighted over the last decade and we have personally observed, Majuro Atoll is challenged by multifaceted social and environmental problems that are, like elsewhere, bound in a history of foreign administrations.
>
> Small low-lying islands have challenges derived from their lack of space, leading to difficulties disposing of solid waste (e.g. Majuro has the highest load of sunken debris recorded from any coral reef ecosystem).  Similarly, the choice of building materials is very limited, and reef mining is the locally preferred method.  It is clear that dredging and mining a reef kills resident organisms, and most likely influences wave attenuation and shoreline stability, however we are not aware of any studies that quantify these effects at Majuro.
>
> Compared to other places on the planet, many of Majuro's outer reefs are still in extremely good shape, sporting high coral cover, diversity and fish communities.  Yet, Majuro lagoon is degraded and this is very evident when its status is compared with lagoons of the outer Marshall Island atolls.  There have been numerous disease outbreaks and bleaching events in Majuro which Dean has meticulously monitored via time lapse photography. Other impacts include fishing and aquarium collecting.  In a country where a productive and healthy reef is a source of food and even income, and an intact reef matrix is an insurance factor against ever more frequent storm events that inundate the low-lying land, it seems incredible that an international entity can still facilitate the destruction of their lifeline.  Regardless of local politics, sound developmental practises must be undertaken.
>
> We are not wanting to engage in a ill-informed debate about RMI politics or local cultural practice, all we can validate is that the reef area that Dean has been fighting over is/ was, as he says, an intact reef that was among the better of Majuro lagoonal reefs.  Compared to the diverse and pristine outer atolls, the coral reef community at Majuro is stressed which makes it even more important to protect the remaining reefs.

> [...]

Nicole L. Crane
Cabrillo College
Division of Natural and Applied Sciences
831-479-5094
nicrane at cabrillo.edu
www.cabrillo.edu/~ncrane

Oceanic Society