[Coral-List] Thoughts on Spearfishing on Scuba

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Fri May 9 13:29:55 EDT 2014

Of course, diving on compressed air without a certification course is
extremely dangerous. In both Bolinao, Philippines and Punta Cana, Dominican
Republic, we found that hookah divers had a very high accident rate. Roughly
speaking, in both cases, one could expect that 1 in 10 users tend would be
afflicted with either some form of paralysis or death within a given year.
Depletion of stocks of fish, sea urchins, lobsters, etc. in shallow waters
tends to lead to both longer periods of use per day, and deeper forays.
Thus, the problem worsens over time. Ashton Williams, a diving instructor,
biologist and conservation leader in Antigua, has trained local fishers to
use scuba properly -- and this approach should be practiced far more widely
than it is.

Because spearfishing tends to select for large fish, our Bolinao study
showed quantitatively that spearfishing was less a cause of growth
overfishing than corrals and gill nets. However, that was under very heavy
levels of fishing, and there were extremely few fish reaching ages wherein
one would favor protecting the oldest fish as well as the juveniles (for
reproductive output reasons). That study is towards the end of the book
"Resource Ecology of the Bolinao Coral Reef", freely available on my
ResearchGate site.

However, as nicely described in the plenary talk in the recent ICRS by
Geoffrey Jones, fish tend to learn fear. This probably explains why reefs
where spearfishing is common are widely believed to be poor choices for
underwater photography. One should choose one or the other for a
well-managed reef -- keeping in mind that banning local fishers from an area
while enabling tourists to fish is generally a bad idea.

Cheers!

John