[Coral-List] Scuba and Spearfishing

Billy Causey - NOAA Federal billy.causey at noaa.gov
Mon May 12 14:25:59 EDT 2014

Charles ...
I have been following this topic and want to offer that a far greater
threat to parrotfish populations in the Wider Caribbean is the continued
use of wire fish traps made of 1" mesh chicken wire that do not
discriminate for size.  Billy

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Delbeek, Charles
<CDelbeek at calacademy.org>wrote:

> Just to play devil's advocate, with advances in breath hold diving
> equipment and techniques, I would say that these spearfishermen can bag
> almost as many fish as someone on SCUBA. A far greater threat to large
> fish, particularly parrotfish in my opinion, is people spearing at night.
> Then it is a simple matter to bag a sleeping fish. Several countries have
> banned this form of spearfishing, and just recently Hawaii did so as well,
> but they were little late on this in my opinion.
>
> J. Charles Delbeek, M.Sc.
> Assistant Curator, Steinhart Aquarium
> California Academy of Sciences
>
> Desk: 415.379.5303
> Cell: 415.859.0420
> Fax: 415.379.5304
>
> cdelbeek at calacademy.org
> www.calacademy.org
>
> 55 Music Concourse Dr.
> Golden Gate Park
> San Francisco CA 94118
>
> What you can't see will amaze you.  Dark Universe, a new planetarium show,
> now playing at the California Academy of Sciences.

Billy D. Causey, Ph.D.
Regional Director
Southeast Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Region
NOAA's Office of National Marine Sanctuaries
33 East Quay Road
Key West, Florida 33040

Office:  305 809 4670 (ex 234)
Mobile: 305 395 0150
Fax:     305 293 5011
Email:  Billy.Causey at noaa.gov

Will Our Grandchildren Remember Us For What We Conserved and Protected or
For What We Let Slip Away?