[Coral-List] Giant clams back in the coral reefs of Seychelles

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Mon May 19 07:01:47 EDT 2014

As part of the USAID-funded coral reef restoration project I'm coordinating in Seychelles, we have now expanded beyond corals and incorporated giant clams to restore ecosystem function.
I secured a first donation of 30 aquaculture-raised giant clams (Tridacna maxima) from Black Pearl Farm, Seychelles to complete a pilot study. After developing a successful transplantation protocol, I have secured a new donation of 120 giant clams. Now things are getting interesting...
Here's a link to the news updatehttp://www.natureseychelles.org/knowledge-centre/news-and-stories/latest-news/575-saving-the-giant-clams

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D. Coordinator Reef Rescuers ProgramIsland Conservation Centre Nature Seychelles,Amitie, Praslin, Seychelleshttp://www.natureseychelles.org-and-Research CollaboratorSmithsonian-National Museum of Natural Historyat Smithsonian Marine Station, Fort Pierce, FL, USATwitter: @GrouperDocBlog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.comhttp://independent..academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres