[Coral-List] political arguments on coral-list (Fautin, Daphne G.)

Arlo Hemphill arlo at arlohemphill.com
Wed May 21 14:56:12 EDT 2014

   Hi Daphne and all,

   Your comment caused me to reflect on Steve Schneider and the truly admirable
   life he led.  I had the immense pleasure of working with him to launch
   "Science as a Contact Sport" at the climate talks in Copenhagen.  He was an
   amazingly patient and personable man who took time to talk about climate
   data with anyone and everyone with an interest. During the last months of
   his life, Steve was receiving death threats on a regular basis.  Even the
   event  we  hosted  in  Copenhagen was distrupted by an extremist media
   personality.  The individual had to be escorted out by security simply to
   allow Steve to finish his press conference. Most importantly, and in stark
   constrast to the climate denier byline that scientists push climate change
   in order to acquire funding, Steve self-funded most of his outreach and
   advocacy on climate change.  He did it because he truly cared what climate
   data is implying for the future of humanity - and he did it to his own
   personal and financial detriment.

   Just  FYI though - in case anyone is wondering - he did die of natural
   causes.

   Best,

   Arlo

     Message: 1