[Coral-List] RIP Ricky Grigg 1937 - 2014

Dean Jacobson atolldino at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 16:20:56 EDT 2014

I read Ricky's autobiography this year while on a dive survey on Namdrik atoll (Marshall Islands), it was captivating (I had never heard of him!).  What a splendid human.  We both grew up near Santa Monica.  His observation of coral thriving on a sewage outfall pipe is certainly at odds (in part) with my findings on Majuro, where there is a close correlation between sources of sewage (septic systems along the shore) and coral disease.  The effects on Majuro reefs are nothing short of devastating, to vulnerable taxa (Isopora and most massives), but the more  tolerant Acropora spp, one speces of Montipora, and, of course, Porites rus, are indeed thriving near the Majuro outfall.

Dean Jacobson