[Coral-List] PhD Scholarship at James Cook University

Hughes, Terry terry.hughes at jcu.edu.au
Wed May 28 02:26:47 EDT 2014

PhD Scholarship to work with Prof. Terry Hughes

I have an opening in my research group, and a generous scholarship package to fund it, for a PhD student. The scholarship offers an annual stipend of approximately US$28,000 for 3.5 years, and attracts a full  fee waiver. Additional research support of $5000-10,000 is available. There are no citizenship restrictions, although candidates must meet Australian Student Visa requirements for fluency in English. The position is available now or in the next couple of months (before the end of September), and is based in the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reefs, headquartered at James Cook University in Queensland.

I'm looking for someone who is very bright, enthusiastic and independent. Applicants must have a First Class Honours or Masters degree, and ideally should already have published one or two  peer reviewed papers. The topic of the PhD is open to discussion, so long as it relates to coral reefs. For example, it could be ecological, or involve modelling or social science. (The topic will determine the disciplinary composition of the student's supervisory committee).

For more information about the ARC Centre, see http://www.coralcoe.org.au/

Profiles of many of our current graduate students and their projects are online at http://www.coralcoe.org.au/people/students

Potential applicants should please email me a 2-page CV, a brief (no more than 1 page) statement of their current and future research interests, and the contact details of two referees.

Cheers, Terry

Professor Terry Hughes FAA
ARC Laureate Fellow
Director, ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies
James Cook University, Townsville, QLD 4811
Australia

Link to Terry Hughes Google Scholar profile<http://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=MhJ2LfsAAAAJ>

Email: terry.hughes at jcu.edu.au<mailto:terry.hughes at jcu.edu.au>
Phone: 61 (0)7 4781 4000
Website: http://www.coralcoe.org.au/postdocs/terry-hughes

ABC TV Future Forum: Can coral reefs survive the 21st century (60 minutes)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/programs/future-forum/

ABC TV (Catalyst): Future response of the Great Barrier Reef to climate change (8 minutes)
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3576802.htm