[Coral-List] submission on Chagos

Rupert Ormond rupert.ormond.mci at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 02:03:49 EST 2014

Clive,

This seems a very neat summary, to which however one should add one key
point:

6. Establishment of the MPA does not preclude Chagossians who wish to
return from gaining employment there. On the contrary, experience
suggests that managing the MPA and likely upmarket tourist resorts and
associated small businesses will likely generate more jobs and a
stronger more sustainable economy and better quality of life than would
focus on the fishing industry. See for example the success of up-market
tourism in the neighbouring Maldives.

*Rupert Ormond
*Centre for Marine Biodiversity & Biotechnology,
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh