[Coral-List] An observation, Sargassum weed washing up on St. Croix beaches

Alan Strong (NOAA Affiliate) alan.e.strong at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 2 13:15:22 EDT 2014

Is this material flowing northward from the Orinoco (Venezuela) again??

Cheers,
Al

Chuanmin Hu said the following on 10/2/2014 11:15 AM:
> Hi Melissa:
> My group has been generating real-time satellite images for quite some
> time to monitor floating materials in the eastern Caribbean and N
> Central Atlantic:
> http://optics.marine.usf.edu/cgi-bin/optics_data?roi=ECARIB&current=1
> http://optics.marine.usf.edu/cgi-bin/optics_data?roi=C_ATLANTIC&current=1
> Pick a date and time, choose the AFAI image, then you can observe those
> elongated and color coded slicks. If you click on the GE button below
> the image you can also bring that image together with the corresponding
> surface currents into Google Earth so you can navigate. You can also
> select "Animate" to choose a period to browse through all the images.
> Cheers,
>
> Chuanmin
>
> On 10/1/2014 12:09 PM, MelissaE Keyes wrote:
>> Hello, Listers,
>>
>> St Croix in the U.S.Virgin Islands is supposed to be hundreds of kilometers south of the Sargasso Sea.  For a few weeks now, Sargassum Weed has been washing ashore on the south-east coast beaches..There is so much, you can smell it for miles driving along the south coast road, and when the breeze is from the SE, the odor is even present on the north side of the island.
>>
>> Just an observation.  This happened once before, three years ago.  The weed was mainly on the north side of the island that time.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Melissa

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******

Alan E. Strong, Ph.D.
NOAA Coral Reef Watch, Senior Consultant
Strong Research, Inc. & GST
NOAA Coral Reef Watch Program
  e-mail: Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

Mailing Address:

NOAA
Dr. Alan Strong
NCWCP - E/RA3
Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP)
5830 University Research Ct. - Rm. 3221
College Park, MD 20740

PHONE:  301-683-3339  Cell: 410-490-6602

(301) 683-3300 - General SOCD phone number
(301) 683-3301 - SOCD Fax