[Coral-List] Which sponges have cyanobacterial symbionts ?

martin.pecheux at free.fr martin.pecheux at free.fr
Sat Oct 4 08:26:50 EDT 2014

Dear Coral-Listers,

I think it would be quite interesting to study the bleaching of cyanobacterial-bearing sponges, to get informations from a neglected but quite other system than the zooxanthellae-corals (I study also large foraminifers with diatoms). In preparation of a bleaching experiment, I need to know which sponge order/families/species harbour cyanobacteria. Despite intensive search (in which scholar.google, thanks), I couldn't  find this information.
Does anyone can help me ?
Otherwise I already know that Xestospongia muta, Petrosia pellasarca, Spheciospongia vesparia and Aplysina sp. are those with cyanobacteria who have been reported to bleach in the field (Williams and Bunkley-Williams, 1990, Vicente, 1990, Dennis and Wicklund, 1993).

Thanks,

Dr Martin Pecheux
IPCC 2007 member (Nobel Peace Prize), 2014, soon IPBES
Institut des Foraminifères Symbiotiques
16, rue de la Fontaine de l'Espérance
92160 Antony, France
Email : martin.pecheux at free.fr
Web : martin-pecheux.fr
Phone : +33 (0)1 40 96 01 99

L'homme descend du singe, la preuve, c'est qu'il croit en dieu.
Human's origin is monkey, proof the belief in god.
Nosotros descendemos de los monos, prueba se cree en dios.
Der Mensch stammt vom Affen ab, Beweis ist dass er an Gott glaubt.