[Coral-List] reminder for yahoo subscribers

Mike Jankulak mike.jankulak at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 10 16:08:54 EDT 2014

This morning one of our subscribers asked us why coral-list had
auto-disabled his subscription.  Which made me realize that we'd had
enough yahoo-originating posts in a short enough period of time to cause
another mass auto-disabling event.

This time I counted 707 subscriptions that were auto-disabled by this
event.  On June 6th I found 832 subscribers auto-disabled, and my
remarks from that time still apply:

http://coral.aoml.noaa.gov/pipermail/coral-list/2014-June/014337.html

So I think a reminder would be useful.  The key facts are:

If you are a yahoo subscriber, your message won't reach about 10% of our
subscribers.  This includes other yahoo subscribers but also email
providers who honor yahoo's policies, like hotmail.

There is a known problem where too many yahoo posts to coral-list can
cause massive auto-disable events that affect primarly yahoo and hotmail
accounts, but also some others.  We will respond to such events after
the fact for cleanup, as soon as we learn of them.

This is certainly not an official government position but merely an
informal recommendation:  if you use yahoo for subscribing to
coral-list, I would recommend that you switch to some other free email
service such as gmail.  Contact <coral-list-owner at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>
if you want help switching your subscription address.

regards,
Mike J+, coral-list mod team