[Coral-List] The Chagos MPA - what went wrong?

Jon slayer jonslayer at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 14:41:25 EDT 2014

A letter is published in New Scientist by Charles Sheppard as Chair of the Chagos Conservation Trust in response to the opinion article by Fred Pearce recently. Part of the letter responds yet again to the erroneous claim that the conservation of Chagos, specifically the creation of the marine reserve, was done to prevent the return of Chagossians. As many of us know, a High Court judgement of March-April (Bancoult vs Secretary of State, before Lady Justice Gloster and Lord Justice Vos) states, after a detailed 93 paras, that: ".the MPA was not actuated by the improper motive of intending to create an effective long-term way to prevent Chagossians and their descendants from resettling in the BIOT."The text of the letter is inserted below.'From Charles Sheppard, Chair, Chagos Conservation TrustDesignating the Chagos Archipelago a no-take marine protected area (MPA) was based on the best available science.The precautionary principle was rightly applied to ensure that lengthy deliberation did not allow further destruction of the world's most pristine coral reefs.Policies should, of course, be reviewed as further scientific evidence comes to light. In the case of Chagos, new research continues to corroborate the decision to protect this unique ecosystem.It is misleading to claim that the no-take policy is another barrier preventing the displaced Chagossians from returning to the islands. The MPA declaration states that the level of protection would be reviewed – in full consultation with the Chagossians – in the case of resettlement.A mere 2.8 per cent of the world's ocean has any protection, with only 0.6 per cent fully protected, well below international commitments.With the cleanest sea water in the world and a staggering diversity of marine life, the Chagos Archipelago is a site of resilience within the heavily overexploited west Indian Ocean.It is an underwater sanctuary that deserves to be afforded the ultimate protection.Warwick, UK'The letter and links to the associated articles can be found at http://chagos-trust.org/news/letter-new-scientist-reply-fred-pearce-opinion-piece-chagos-marine-reserve-polluted-politicsJon