[Coral-List] MSc/PhD position at the Baeza Lab - Clemson University

Antonio Baeza baeza.antonio at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 16:16:51 EDT 2014

The Baeza lab in Integrative & Evolutionary Biology of Marine Organisms at
the Department of Biological Sciences, Clemson University (
http://www.clemson.edu/cafls/departments/biosci/) is seeking motivated and
creative students to join the lab as MS/PhD students in Fall 2015.

The Baeza lab is interested in various topics in the fields of Evolutionary
Biology, Molecular Phylogenetics & Phylogeography, as well as Fisheries
Biology. We use marine invertebrates, some of them economically valuable,
as model systems. Our research is both hypothesis and curiosity driven, and
we use a combination of molecular phylogenies, natural history
observations, basic modeling approaches, and manipulative experiments to
accomplish our research goals. Our current research program has two main
foci: (1) non-applied research on the behavioral ecology and evolutionary
biology of marine invertebrates in order to understand the diversification
process and (2) applied research aimed at generating information relevant
for proposing measures for the sustainable use of exploited marine
invertebrates. The model systems we are using include various groups of
marine decapods crustaceans, including crabs, shrimps, and most recently,
spiny lobsters.

Potential research topics include the following: (1) testing sex allocation
theory in sequential and simultaneous hermaphrodites (e.g., with shrimps
from the genus *Lysmata* and *Thor*); (2) the evolution of mating systems
(in brachyuran crabs); (3) testing sexual selection theory and
understanding the link with disease avoidance (in Caribbean spiny
lobsters); and (4) diversification and the conditions driving this process
(using selected clades of tropical marine crustaceans). More about our
research can be found here: http://baezaantonio.wix.com/antoniobaeza.
 Check our publications in ResearchGate (
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/J_Baeza) and Academia (
https://clemson.academia.edu/AntonioBaeza).

Passion and enthusiasm for science, seriousness, well-developed written and
oral communication abilities, and strong quantitative skills are necessary.
A background in Marine Biology and Invertebrate Zoology are desired.
Minority students are encouraged to apply.

Interested and qualified students should send an email describing their
motivation and research interests together with a short CV, transcripts,
and scores from the GRE and TOEFL/IELTS (if applicable) to J. Antonio Baeza
(baeza.antonio at gmail.com). Strong candidates will be encouraged to apply
to the Biological Sciences MS or PhD program to meet the  January 5th
deadline.

Graduate students in the Department of Biological Sciences, Clemson
University, generally are financially supported via Teaching
Assistantships. More information about the application process can be found
here: (
http://www.clemson.edu/cafls/departments/biosci/graduates/applying.html).

Sincerely,

J. Antonio Baeza

--
J. Antonio Baeza

Assistant Professor
Department of Biological Sciences, Clemson University
South Carolina, USA
&
Research Associate
Smithsonian Marine Station at Fort Pierce, Florida, USA
&
Adjunct Faculty
Universidad Catolica del Norte, Coquimbo, Chile

Email: baeza.antonio at google.com & jbaezam at clemson.edu
Website: http://baezaantonio.wix.com/antoniobaeza
Website ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/J_Baeza/
Website Academia: http://si.academia.edu/JAntonioBaeza