[Coral-List] Why we are failing to repair coral reefs

David Obura dobura at cordioea.net
Wed Oct 29 14:22:57 EDT 2014

Farewell from the list Alina,

I'll miss your occasional comments, for one.

One of my most despairing moments as a coral biologist was at the final plenary of the ICRS in Fort Lauderdale where we as a community decided NOT to include any statement on world population in the final message from the Symposium. I wondered just WHAT planet the leadership in coral reef research (us) were living in.

I don't write much on population and 'the end is nigh' on the coral-list as of course its never quite the end, kids today still do have some nice waters to swim and play in (at least, some of them), and yet, as your figures show, there's more people worse off now BECAUSE of our technological advances rather than in spite of them. If we don't have the wisdom to use science and technology well, it certainly doesn't help in the long run, it just kicks the can down the road.  I've just run some numbers from UN sources on population growth to 2100, and two of the currently middling regions in Africa (the Horn of Africa and the Mozambique channel) may EACH host near 1 billion people in 2100. That doesn't even count central, west or north Africa, nor South Africa. Where are we going? I have no idea. (which, of course, has been said by many of the ages).

So yes, unless we don't get off our high horses nit-picking at one another we'll definitely not contribute to any meaningful solutions. Our ecosystem is a canary in the coal mine - we'll likely lose the canary in most functional ways, but how much worse it will be to lose the coal mine! (a pretty miserable analogy in an age of carbon-fired warming!!)

I certainly don't have more suggestions that what has already been posted by many, but we do need your kind of voice to be active Alina - in useful, productive places, such as in education, and advisory panels - so don't be silent elsewhere!

regards to all, as usual!!

David

CORDIO East Africa
#9 Kibaki Flats, Kenyatta Beach, Bamburi Beach
P.O.BOX 10135 Mombasa 80101, Kenya
www.cordioea.net ; Email: dobura at cordioea.net; davidobura at gmail.com
Mobile: +254-715 067417; skype dobura; Twitter @dobura