[Coral-List] Acropora ID's and US threatened status

Kaufman, Leslie S lesk at bu.edu
Mon Sep 1 12:59:43 EDT 2014

Hi all.  The Center for Biodiversity (CBD) pushed for listing of these corals in order to gain legal and political leverage toward reduction of CO2 emissions.  While obviously well-intentioned, this strategy was pursued without regard to the appropriateness of the Endangered Species Act as the vehicle for achieving this end, or for the scientific and logistical arrangements necessary to make the listing meaningful and enforceable (they knew, we spoke with them at great length about this, wasn’t CBD’s problem…).

However, now that it has happened, I argue that what Steve is suggesting is absolutely essential.  Perhaps Kieran Suckling, CBD’s Executive Director, can assist now in ensuring that the necessary financial resources are present to do this properly.

Another important piece could be a status and trends assessment for each US population of these species or species complexes, with a broader view to the entire constellation of actions necessary to ensure their well being and recovery to de-listing- global actions, yes, but also the more immediately actionable local measures that must be taken.

Thank you Steve!

Les

Les Kaufman
Professor of Biology
Boston University Marine Program
and
Marine Conservation Fellow
Betty and Gordon Moore Center for Ecosystem Science and Economics
Conservation International
lesk at bu.edu<mailto:lesk at bu.edu>

Message: 3