[Coral-List] Dredging on the Great Barrier Reef

frahome at yahoo.com frahome at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 06:34:39 EDT 2014

I am flabbergasted too (I learned a new word in English) by how things are going in Australia.

Well, actually it's not true, I am not surprised. Everything seems in line with the current economic, political and social paradigm as I keep stressing in my posts (just dug out a couple of them from the archive, same old story...)
http://coral.aoml.noaa.gov/pipermail/coral-list/2011-November/010719.html
http://coral.aoml.noaa.gov/pipermail/coral-list/2011-May/009913.html

I read that  pressured by the uncomfortable lawsuits they needed to deal with, the consortium has recently withdrawn the plan of dumping the sediments in the sea and is looking for a location on land. If it's true this move probably aims to make believe all the problems linked to the project will be solved while obviously they aren't (the dredging will still occur, the land sites will be negatively affected by the mining and the dumping, truck and ship traffic will increase, and overall the coal will be extracted and burned etc…)

Anyway I guess we can consider ourselves lucky the coal is not located right under the GBR.

Francesca