[Coral-List] NOAA lists 20 new corals

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 6 01:26:38 EDT 2014

Gene,
Leave it to you to cut to the chase. If opposition to listing an additional 20 coral species as threatened is based on concerns related to accessibility and paperwork, then that must be recognized as the price that must be paid. As you clearly pointed out we already know the factors which are causing the decline and I am confident that the ESA will allow for sufficient research going forward to corroborate the science. What I found telling was your observation that "No form of reef management can save these corals at the current rate of decline". You obviously care about the reefs which you have been exploring for all these years so why don't you apply your formidable expertise to causes dedicated to decelerating that rate of decline? You certainly don't have an aversion to conflict or debate so why abdicate your combativeness in light of this situation? You may not win every battle, but to resign yourself to the notion that it is all over seems like capitulation. That is totally out of character for you. Your closing statement alluding to the possibility that climate change could be a primary driver gives me hope that you might yet come around from the dark side. Its never too late.  Steve