[Coral-List] Ideal Temperatures for Coral growth, reproduction, and thermal lethal limits.

Capman, William capman at augsburg.edu
Sun Sep 7 23:53:39 EDT 2014

Rudy,

I hesitate to reply here because there are others here with much more
expertise than me, but here is a bit of information.

My understanding is that a lot of these corals grow faster at higher
temperatures, right about up to the temperatures that make them seriously
ill.  The transition between temperatures that give healthy fast growth and
seriously stressful situations can be fairly abrupt.  (Others here can
probably provide more expert knowledge on this).

I have kept a variety of Indopacific corals and such (stony corals, soft
corals, zooanthids, gorgonians, and two species of large anemone) and a few
Caribbean species in reef aquaria for close to 15 years, and have had a few
temperature disasters or near disasters.  Anecdotally, temperatures of
about 80 - 82 or degrees or so have been just fine.  85 degrees F or so has
generally caused some problems, particularly if such temperatures last for
any extended period of time - some species will be fine and others will
show moderate bleaching, while some will die if these temperatures last for
more than a day or a few.

I had one disastrous event where temperatures reached 92 degrees F in one
of my tanks.  I totally lost some large 10 year old colonies of Acropora,
Seriatopora, Pocillopora, and a few others, along with moderate bleaching
or other signs of severe stress in some other species.  Several corals
(including a brain coral that I think is in the genus Symphylia) came
through the whole event just fine, and was seemingly unfazed but the whole
situation.

Clearly, stressful or lethal temperatures vary from one species to the
next, and surely from one location in the wild to the next (and thus for
different populations of a given species).   But in general, a lot of
corals tend to be pretty OK between about 70 degrees F and 80 degrees F or
so, with many corals probably doing best at the upper end of that range or
even a few degrees higher.  Temperatures in the mid 80's are going to be
stressful for many corals.  Temperatures of 90 degrees F are going to be
pretty dangerous for most corals, as I understand things anyway.

And these high temperatures will surely have bigger impacts if the corals
are stressed otherwise, e.g. from low water flow.

I hope this helps.

(To others here with more expertise:  please correct my statements as you
see fit!)

Bill