[Coral-List] Help with Indian Ocean Acroporid ID

Deborah Burn deborah.burn at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 13 00:01:40 EDT 2014

Dear all,
Greetings from Maldives!We are having difficulties identifying these two corals to species level (The second two photographs are of the same colony). Whilst I understand many experts can't determine between Acropora species in situ, I thought I'd give it a try! We seek the expertise of any listers who might be able to help visually positively identify these two from these photographs in the dropbox link (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yz59c9b2m1kbdp2/AADQnwNOmo4tvRSASonic-Zxa?dl=0).Both found in shallow water (~2m) within a resort island lagoon in North Male Atoll, Maldives. Differences we have noticed: - Coral 009 has yellow polyps, whereas 013 does not. - 013 radial corallites are more flaring in appearance than 009.- Axial corallites have different morphologies. Could these characteristics just be genotypic differences, or are these 2 different species?Thanks,Debs