[Coral-List] Ocean Acidification session at ASLO 2015, Granada

Carles Pelejero carles.pelejero at icrea.cat
Mon Sep 22 09:12:43 EDT 2014

   ** Apologies for cross postings **
   Dear Coral-List Colleagues,
   The abstract submission is open, until 10 October, for the next ASLO Aquatic
   Sciences  Meeting  that  will  be held 22-27 February 2015 in Granada,
   Andalusia, Southern Spain.
   We would like to draw your attention to the following session, that we are
   organizing:
   Session  32.  Responses  of  marine  organisms to ocean acidification,
   interactions with other stressors and biogeochemistry
   Ocean health is being disturbed by a range of stressors. Some of these are
   critical on a global scale, including ocean acidification - the focus of
   this session. In recent years, many groups have initiated research on this
   worrying environmental issue from a range of angles. In this session, we aim
   to bring together the newest results, based on studies performed in aquaria,
   mesocosms and in the field, under short and long timescales, including areas
   under the influence of volcanic CO2 vents, and free ocean CO2 enrichment
   experiments on habitats such as coral reefs and macroalgal stands, or the
   open ocean. Studies that focus on the effect of other stressors in addition
   to ocean acidification are particularly welcome, including the incorporation
   of direct and local anthropogenic influences (e.g. nutrient enrichment,
   pollution). We also encourage studies that use newly designed experimental
   set-ups focused on increasing the complexity of the assemblages to better
   reproduce  the  real  world,  including  natural cycles. Consequently,
   biogeochemical ramifications of ocean acidification are also invited, for
   example regarding possible changes in the marine production of biogenic
   volatile compounds, which are critical for ecosystem function as well as
   influencing climate processes via aerosol production and photochemical
   reactions.
   Confirmed invited speakers:
   Steve Widdicombe (Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Plymouth, UK)
   Tali Mass (University of Haifa, Israel)
   Murray Roberts (Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK)
   Abstract      submission     and     conference     information     at
   [1]http://www.sgmeet.com/aslo/granada2015/default.asp
   We look forward to your participation in this exciting meeting and to seeing
   you soon in the vibrant, gracious and enjoyable town of Granada.
   Best wishes,

   Heidi and Carles
   Heidi Burdett, University of St Andrews
   hb57 at st-andrews.ac.uk
   [2]http://earthsci.st-andrews.ac.uk/profile_hb57.aspx
   Carles Pelejero, ICREA and Institut de Ciencies del Mar, CSIC
   carles.pelejero at icrea.cat
   [3]http://biogeochemistry.org/CarlesPelejero